Create an Azure automation runbook
Here is a video guide which I created for the Patch My PC report which covers the steps outlined below.
If you wish to export data to an Azure storage account, you will need a couple of PowerShell modules added to the automation account for the runbook to use.
- In the Azure portal in the automation account, go to the Modules gallery pane
- Search for and import the following modules:
- Click on the Runbooks pane and choose Create a runbook
- Enter a name for the runbook, select PowerShell for the runbook type and click Create
- Here you can enter your PowerShell code. To get started, check out the included examples for exporting to an Azure storage account and exporting to a Log analytics workspace.
- If you wish to test the runbook before publishing to make sure it works, use the Test pane
- Alternatively, Publish the runbook, then click Start from the runbook menu. This option will give you the full output of the script.
- When ready, Publish the runbook
Schedule the Runbook to execute at regular intervals to keep the data updated.
- In the Azure portal, in the automation account, open the Runbook you created
- Click Link to schedule
- In the Schedule section, select an existing schedule or create a new one