Comment on page
Managed Devices Report
This guide demonstrates how to regularly export data from Microsoft Graph using Azure automation, dump data to Azure blob storage and create a PowerBI report from the data.
In this guide we will export data from Microsoft Graph for Intune managed devices and create a PowerBI report using the exported data as a datasource.
Benefits of this approach include:
- Use PowerBI to create your own custom reports from any Microsoft Graph data
- Reports support using a scheduled refresh in the PowerBI service for keeping data up-to-date
- Everything is in the cloud - there is no requirement for on-prem resources or a data gateway
- Use a managed identity or a Run as account for simplified, secure no-credential authentication
- Graph data can be manipulated using PowerShell before export allowing customization of the final data set
I've also included a sample PowerBI template that works with the automation runbook provided in this guide.
- 1.Create / configure an Azure automation account
- 2.Grant API permissions to the managed identity or Run as account
- 3.Create / configure an Azure storage account
- 4.Create the Automation runbook
- 5.Create the PowerBI report
- Some familiarity with Azure administration
- Some familiarity creating PowerBI reports
- PowerShell knowledge
- Appropriate permissions to create / configure the Azure resources